Did you know that hard water is really bad for your hair? It can make it dull and lifeless. Is there even a special kind of shampoo for hard water that you can buy?
Hard water is a huge problem in the United States. Some say it is the worst problem that households face today.
Hard water has a high concentration of dissolved minerals, like calcium and magnesium. An excess of these minerals is a problem because the minerals accumulate and build up on equipment and fixtures. Plus, they cause poor performance of cleansing agents such as soap or detergent.
As water makes its way through rocks and soil on its way to your faucet, it collects and holds minerals. Calcium and magnesium are the two minerals that are most commonly found in hard water. How hard the water is depends on the level of each mineral in the water.
Hard water causes lots of problems:
- Spots and film on dishes
- Laundry wears out 15% faster
- Water using appliances wear out 15% faster
- Increased costs of appliance repair and replacement
- Dull lifeless hair
How does hard water affect hair?
Hard water makes it so that shampoos, conditioners, and soaps don’t foam up very well. It can also leave slimy residue in your hair and on your skin even after rinsing.
Minerals in hard water build up on your skin and in your hair because they never completely rinse off.
Calcium and magnesium in your water keep your scalp and your hair from becoming truly clean and can damage your hair and cause changes to color and texture.
Minerals that can damage hair are charged positive (+). Oxidized proteins within hair are charged negative (-). Warm or hot water causes the outer layer of the hair shaft to open and allow minerals to get inside and attach to hair protein sort of like magnets that create a wall of rocks on your hair and scalp.
Is there special shampoo for hard water?
There are 3 things you can do about hard water and shampoo:
- Buy very expensive shampoo for hard water. There are many brands available. The least expensive one that I found was $27 for a 10-ounce bottle. Crazy, huh?
- Get an expensive water softener to eliminate hard hater. The problem with this solution is not only that these units are expensive but they require constant maintenance, and they are not health giving or eco-friendly. You will be required to add large quantities of salt to the water supply you use for your family, your pets, and your lawn and gardens. Not such a great idea.
- You can purchase Aqua Magnets which are a magnetic water conditioner. They are inexpensive, easy to install yourself, and they change the state of the hard minerals in your water so they can be used to promote the health of all who use your water supply.
So, stop your search for special shampoo for hard water… for the cost of just a few bottles of the stuff, you can solve your problem once and for all with Aqua Magnets, give them a try today!
[Image Credit: Alyssa L. Miller]